The problem of adaptability and transferability of systems is of prime importance in production industry. There exists a particular need for research and technology transfer in this area, as currently available systems, use traditional control theory in a large scale but their adaptivity specially in complicated models (or in the absence of a mathematical equivalent model) is questionable. Transferring existing solutions in new installations can sometimes mean redesign from scratch and increase the cost significantly. The use of intelligent hybrid systems in this application area is still limited but growing with a promising trend.
Production Industry applications can be subdivided in Primary Industry applications (mainly heavy industry like metallurgy, rubber industry, textile industry etc.) and Components and Consumer Goods Industry applications (electronics, household appliances etc.). In both sectors Smart Adaptive Systems could increase efficiency and lead to better organisation of the production line.
Some possible directions SAS can be applied in Production Industry application areas:
- Design adaptivity modules in automation of conventional linear and nonlinear control systems
- Adaptive control and optimisation of power systems
- Novel hybrid control systems
- System integration and industrial automation with increased adaptivity and modularity in order to be transferable in other sites
- Simulation tools for modelling, optimisation, management and control with adaptive characteristics for training and design.
The Key Nodes involved in Production industry applications are to engage in technology transfer and research according to the activity plan but also by initiating task forces.
Industrial members should benefit from:
- Receiving free information (case studies, consultancy etc.) provided by other members.
- Networking for creating consortia for projects as EUNITE provides a great pool of relevant Academic Research and Industrial partners.
- Identifying the future trends and hot areas in Production Industry applications of Smart Adaptive Systems
- Increased interaction Academia-Industry as it can lead the direction of academic work in this field
- Contributing relevant benchmark problems (via Technology Transfer) and get an insight of the benefits SAS can achieve in their specific problems.
- Getting information and training in workshops, tutorials and other educational activities of EUNITE (via Training and Education) so they get an advantage vis-a-vis their competitors.