Transportation Systems can benefit from the introduction of increased
adaptivity specially in the area of traffic control. Also the trend in
today's transportation system is to increase multimodality and thus increases
the complexity of design and control. Because of the many complex aspects
of a traffic system -human behavioral considerations, vehicle flow interactions
within the network, weather effects, traffic accidents, long-term (e.g.,
seasonal) variations, etc.--it has been notoriously difficult to determine
the optimal parameters of the system and adaptivity is considered as a
prime priority. The use of Intelligent Hybrid Systems in order to increase
adaptivity is a challenge in some areas of Transportation and specially
in Traffic control.
Some possible directions SAS can be applied in Transportation application
- Enhance adaptivity in conventional traffic control systems
- Adaptive control of multimodal transportation systems
- Novel Intelligent control systems for transportation problems
- Transferability, with minimum cost, of Transportation Systems in other
- Simulation tools for modelling, optimisation, management and control
with adaptive characteristics for training and design.
- transportation Network design with adaptive features
The Key Nodes involved in Transportation applications are to engage in
technology transfer and research according to the activity plan but also
by initiating task forces.
Industrial members should benefit from:
- Receiving free information (case studies, consultancy etc.) provided
by other members.
- Networking for creating consortia for projects as EUNITE provides
a great pool of relevant Academic Research and Industrial partners.
- Identifying the future trends and hot areas in Transportation applications
of Smart Adaptive Systems
- Increased interaction Academia-Industry as it can lead the direction
of academic work in this field
- Contributing relevant benchmark problems (via Technology Transfer)
and get an insight of the benefits SAS can achieve in their specific
- Getting information and training in workshops, tutorials and other
educational activities of EUNITE (via Training and Education) so they
get an advantage vis-a-vis their competitors.